Button Wrap Charm Bracelets


For a long time I've been trying to figure out a bracelet design that would work up quickly for summer craft fairs and farmer's markets. Something simple, boho chic, and easy to put together with materials I already have on hand. Something that didn't require jewelry hardware, because let's face it -- I don't need to get all invested in materials for jewelry making too!

I found a bracelet listing on Etsy that I really liked, but found no pattern for it and decided to try making it myself. I'm pretty happy with the results, and hopefully you will be too!

Materials:


  • Yarn - Small amount of mercerized cotton yarn (either Omega Sinfonia or Lion Brand 24/7 work great!)
  • Hook - Size D (3.25mm)
  • Jewelry Pliers (I have a 3-in-1 tool that covers all the basics)
  • Needle
  • Scissors
  • Button (approx 15mm)
  • Charms of choice

Photo Tutorial:

First, attach all your charms onto one jump ring. This makes it easy to slip onto the yarn chain once it's reached the correct length.


Using your hook and yarn, make a slipknot and chain a length of 40-42 inches (stretched loosely). 

Thread your starting yarn tail through the jump ring on your charms. Slide the charms all the way up to the other end, near your hook.



Working in the back loop of the chain, slip stitch into the 7th chain from your hook. This makes the loop that will fasten around the button.


Continue to slip stitch in the back loop of each remaining chain. 
Fasten off, leaving a 6 inch tail for sewing on the button.


Use your yarn tail to attach the button to the end of the bracelet. Tie both ends together securely with a knot, and then weave them in a little before trimming. 



Ta-da! Now just wrap it around your wrist (mine goes five times around), fasten the loop around your button, and admire your handiwork!


I used a free printable for selling my bracelets at the local farmer's market. Don't they look fabulous?

A few extra notes/tips:

You can use any yarn or size hook of your choosing. I picked a small hook and the mercerized cotton so that the bracelet wouldn't bee too chunky once it was wrapped around several times, and so that it wouldn't fuzz up too much either. Any cotton yarn or thread (even embroidery thread) would work great. I used a variety of buttons and charms on mine, but be creative and see what you can come up with! 

~Laura B.

Comments

  1. Fabulous! Simple yet look like you put more into it. You've inspired me! Going to try it with hemp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! So cute! I wonder about adding some beads along the way as you slip stitch (if I can find some with larger holes). I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always try a smaller hook! 3mm for pony beads works for me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Free Pattern: Easy Ribbed Fingerless Gloves

FREE PATTERN: Yoda Baby Hat